Thursday 22 March 2018

~from trash to treasure~{Thrifty Thursday}

I am so excited about todays Thrift Thursday project!
I think I may have mentioned before that I am taking part in the upcoming Home Depot Patio Style Challenge.
I ordered a new patio set from Home Depot and it came in a giant box with tons of packaging material. Most of it went in the trash or burn pile, but this black metal frame had me intrigued.
It seemed too good to just toss, so I came up with a project for wall art on our deck.




I wanted to pick up on the colors of the lake and the trees, so I went with a blue/green color scheme.
I started with a few 1x6 pine pieces and ripped some down on the table saw to create varying widths.
Then I cut them to length and dry fitted them in the frame to make sure they would fit.


Then I selected my paint colors and bought a quart of each.
I also distressed the boards a bit first by roughing them up with a hammer, sandpaper, a drill, etc.
I painted multiple coats of different paint on each board so that when I sanded them down in the end they would look like old chippy pieces of wood.

Colors from top to bottom:

Glidden Shaded Fern
not pictured, Benjamin Moore Antique Jade


After the paint was dry I sanded each one individually and topped them off with Annie Sloan Black Wax.


Then I predrilled holes in the sides of the metal frame and screwed each board into place.
My husband hung a wire on the back and voila!





I love the colors in it and I love how it looks with this old painted galvanized bucket.
It was such an easy fun project that cost little money and I feel good about recycling at the same time!
If you are interested in this post, you can shop the below:

Table~our old dining room table sealed with outdoor Varathane.
White chairs are from here.
Wicker chairs from here.
Outdoor lights from here.
Monogram napkins on table from here.
Black pillows from here. 

Oh I also found a thrift store wood bowl and painted it with the Tornado Season paint!


xoxo





from
http://www.mysweetsavannahblog.com/2018/03/from-trash-to-treasurethrifty-thursday.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

modern farmhouse kitchens

While grocery shopping the other day I was drawn to this new magazine, Modern Farmhouse Kitchens. I think modern farmhouse might just be m...