Monday 29 October 2018

mystery box creative challenge

Good morning everyone! I have a fun post for you today. 
Today I am participating in a mystery box creative challenge. 

HOW IT WORKS

Here is how it works. I have been sent 10 random items from the dollar store from the girls at 
Lolly Jane.  I also sent 10 dollar store items off to Karianne of Thistlewood Farms.
Ashley from The Handmade Home is the creative mind behind this challenge, and she is also a participant along with Annie from Zevy Joy.


WHAT IS IS?

The purpose of this challenge it to see how creative we can get with our items, and with a few simple steps, makeover the items into a pretty coffee table vignette.

WHAT IS IN MY MYSTERY BOX?

What was in my mystery box? Well lets see!

A bunch of fall items like these faux stems, and faux pumpkin.
A cute glass vase, a candle, and some rope. All very versatile things.


I was also sent this oval pumpkin tray. All these items aren't particularly horrible, but the colors and style don't exactly fit in with my aesthetic. And so the challenge begins......


HOW I MADE THESE ITEMS WORK FOR MY OWN HOME STYLING:

I really pondered for a while on what I was going to do with these items. The first thing that came to mind was that I needed to change the color on almost everything. 

So out came the white and black paint.
I first spray painted the tray white. Then while that was drying I dipped the rope in white paint and set out to dry.
Then using the same technique I used on my Christmas ornaments here, I marbleized the tray.
When that was dry, I drilled holes in each ends and added the white rope for handles.

Then I painted the candle white simply by dipping it in a quart of white paint and turning it upside down to dry. 

I did the same thing with the pumpkin, dipping it in a quart of black paint and letting dry.

For the books, I simply ripped the covers off of them to reveal the creamy white pages. 

I filled the vase with the last of our hydrangea blooms in the yard and added sprigs of green to them from the faux flowers sent to me.

I discarded the glass and backing to the picture frame, saving only the gold frame itself. Stacked with the books, I think it adds another fun element.








WHAT I LEARNED

A little paint goes a long way. I am sure you heard that before, but it really is true. You can paint almost anything to go with the colors in your home. 

This challenge also proves you don't need a lot of money to create something cute. All you need is to think outside the box and use your imagination.

I am so excited to see what the other girls have done, especially Karianne since I sent her her box of goodies. 




xoxo





from
http://www.mysweetsavannahblog.com/2018/10/mystery-box-creative-challenge.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

modern farmhouse kitchens

While grocery shopping the other day I was drawn to this new magazine, Modern Farmhouse Kitchens. I think modern farmhouse might just be m...